Top 5 common myths surrounding magic mushrooms

Copy of Untitled 8

For those of you who have never heard the word “psychedelic” before, it’s a term used to describe any mind-altering substance that produces sensory and perceptual changes.

Common psychedelics include LSD, psilocybin (magic mushrooms), mescaline, and DMT. These substances are often used for medicinal purposes, such as treating depression or addiction, but there is still much mystery surrounding them because they affect each person differently.

Some people believe magic mushrooms are bad for you, and others think they’re very beneficial when taken responsibly. Magic mushrooms may be hard to understand at first glance, so here are five myths about magic mushrooms we want to dispel with some facts!

1.You can get addicted to magic mushrooms

This myth is false because psilocybin, the psychedelic compound in magic mushrooms, is not physically addictive. It doesn’t make you go through physical withdrawal symptoms or cravings as other drug addictions do. However, some people have reported psychological addiction to psilocybin, making them want to take more and more of it every time they try it.

The way psychedelics affect your brain plays a role in their addictive potential, which is why magic mushrooms aren’t very addictive when compared to other drugs. If you’re still concerned about addiction or abuse of psychedelic substances like psilocybin, talk to an expert.

In fact, psilocybin is now used as a treatment against drug addiction because it helps break down the mental barriers that keep someone addicted.

2. You can overdose on magic mushrooms

False! You cannot physically overdose on magic mushrooms. The most you would encounter is a “bad trip,” which is an intensely negative reaction to the psychedelic experience and can be dangerous if not handled properly. This myth probably comes from people who have consumed too many (a slang term for magic mushrooms) at once, which will likely induce vomiting and nausea.

No deaths have been recorded so far as a direct result of a mushroom overdose.

3. Magic mushrooms are just for hippies and artists

Once again, this isn’t entirely true. Magic mushrooms can be used for different purposes, such as treating anxiety, depression, and addiction. This is where the “entheogen” comes into play because it means “generating god within.”

Entheogens date back to early human history and have been used in religious ceremonies worldwide. Nowadays, they’re still being used by people from athletes to tech geniuses like Steve Jobs.

4. You can get perma-fried

This is a myth. Some people do experience severe psychological distress after taking mushrooms, and this can even turn into a full-blown psychotic break or a bad trip, but they’ll eventually come back to their senses.

In extreme cases, a condition known as HPPD can occur, where people experience visual disturbances that persist for more than a week. Over time, these hallucinations will become less and less prevalent until they stop.

Nobody has ever been ” permanently,” though.

5. Bad trips are inevitable

Many people are afraid of having a bad trip, thinking that they will end up in the hospital or at least be left traumatized by it. Actually, psilocybin mushrooms can sometimes induce frightening hallucinations such as visual and auditory distortions. However, you don’t have to worry about suffering from your first bad trip. There is no standard for what a bad trip is, so it’s hard to tell what it would be like for you.

By taking the appropriate precautions, you greatly reduce your chances of a bad trip. An article will cover these in-depth in the near future.

6. Magic Mushrooms are a gateway drug

This is false. Magic mushrooms are in a different category than other typical gateway drugs like nicotine, alcohol, and ecstasy. These latter drugs cause physical addiction that leads addicts to try harder drugs to overcome cravings and withdrawal symptoms resulting from them being taken away.

However, no studies have shown any correlation between psilocybin consumption and hard drug abuse. Besides, it has been proven that people who have taken magic mushrooms only once in their lifetime are not likely to ever try harder substances or experience any cravings that the latter can cause.

7. Magic mushrooms can be toxic

This is partly true. Magic mushrooms can cause severe stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea, and in some cases, liver damage if taken in astronomical doses. However, it takes about 20 mushroom caps or five dried grams to produce these harmful effects. This means the average person consuming 1-2g of magic powder once will never experience these effects. The toxin also requires a long period of time to act on the liver. So, as long as you take small doses (1-2 caps), your liver will be fine. Also, it is only toxic in humans and not animals like rats and mice because animals lack specific enzymes required for their digestion.

8. Magic Mushrooms are the same as LSD

This is false. The comparison between LSD and magic mushrooms is very common, especially among the media and anti-drug propaganda campaigns. However, there are a few differences that separate them completely. For instance:

Psilocybin does not produce the same visual effects as LSD (e.g., swirls, bright colors etc.). On average, it can take about 20 minutes to start feeling psilocybin’s visual effects, which are much milder than that of LSD. Also, they wear off after 2-3 hours. On the other hand, LSD’s effects start to show in 5-10 minutes and last for 6-12 hours.

9. It is difficult to differentiate psilocybin mushrooms from toxic ones

This is a half-truth. Most of the time, it’s not hard at all to tell toxic mushrooms apart from magic ones because people don’t eat mushrooms out of their natural habitat, but when they do, they can be tricked by poisonous lookalikes that are in fact deadly.

Mushroom hunting is highly discouraged because it is very easy to get poisoned in the process. It is more sensible to buy magic mushrooms than hunt for them yourself without proper knowledge of what you’re doing.

This is a half-truth. Most of the time, it’s not hard at all to tell toxic mushrooms apart from magic ones because people don’t eat mushrooms out of their natural habitat, but when they do, they can be tricked by poisonous lookalikes that are in fact deadly.

Mushroom hunting is highly discouraged because it is very easy to get poisoned in the process. It is more sensible to buy magic mushrooms than hunt for them yourself without proper knowledge of what you’re doing.

10. Magic Mushrooms are illegal

False! Okay, maybe not yet, but soon! The government cannot dictate what you eat; it’s your body! If you’re interested in magic mushrooms, check out our impressive selection of products. We offer anything from capsules to dried shrooms and edibles. Happy tripping!

wavy z dry magic mushroom
Wavy Z Magic Mushrooms